Sunday, January 19, 2014

Here... Doodle, Doodle, Doodle, Doodle! Here... Doodle, Doodle, Doodle, Doodle!

Puppyland

           (ALL PUPPIES ARE SOLD)






The puppies! Doodle, Doodle, ...... Doodle. Has been the "Call of The Wild" since I was a little girl. My grandfather, Joe Wellman ordered puppies from NSW, Australia and they arrived at The Los Angeles Airport aboard an airplane. I'm not exactly sure how he was able to get them all home, but I'm seeing him in my grandmother's dark pink Chrysler station wagon and the matching horse trailer with white walled tires matching the big car, a bright white canvas top, and his huge gold Sheriff Deputy Sign on the back door. They painted it all to match Chico, grandpa's roping horse that was a strawberry roan and he looked pink!

Chico was George Putnam's (famous TV News Anchorman) colt and pranced through the Rose Parade a couple times and this fancy pink "Party Horse Trailer" that usually transported Chico was bringing home a number of homemade wooden boxes and puppies stashed everywhere. The first group over was 60 Kelpie puppies.

The puppies all lived right behind our house and not even 10 feet past our back door. The kennel wasn't finished and the puppies lived temporarily in a huge, high, chain-link fence especially made for wild, wild puppies. "Whatever you do, do not open that gate!" That came from my mother, dad, and oh yes, my grandfather who was paranoid about the dogs getting loose.

I had this great plan. I got some hamburger, probably about two pounds or so in a bucket. I let the puppies smell the meat all around the pen. I called them "Doodles." I ran around the pen over and over and I called them with this crazy name that was for all of them. What ever puppy got to me first, I gave them some meat. The knew right-away what was happening, right away. One or two females were pretty shy and I eventually got them to the fence and gave them some meat. Guess what I did next? I let them go.

Oh, of course they ran after me, "Doodle, Doodle...Doodle" and I got caught. The puppies caught me in five steps, but my grandfather showed-up. I honestly don't remember what he said, or how much trouble I was in. I do remember what I was wearing 52 years ago. I had on a white sleeveless blouse with big. pink, polka dots and black shorts that went almost to my knees and I was barefooted. And I got really dirty and scratched-up.

I suspect Grandpa Joe had my brothers, my mother, and father gathering-up puppies until after dark. I yelled from the top of the stair-landing, just call them Doodle, Doodle, Doodle and show them the bucket. I guess they rounded them up. I did hear them calling the puppies, made me all smug that they actually called them that way. The pen was a whole bunch messier in the morning and even though it wasn't my assignment to clean the pen, I had to do it that next morning. I had to learn not to feed puppies something they weren't used to eating and catching puppies is a lot harder than anyone can imagine.

Yesterday, all of that moment of meeting and wanting to play with new puppies...even Kelpies that were so cute went through my mind. Kelpies are wired! And here I had 6 vs. 60 puppies that didn't even care how much I called them 'Doodle-Doodle.' I can just feel my grandpa's anxiety as soon as the pups had jumped-out of the pen. I made every single crazy sound I could think of to make them look at me for pictures. I'll bet I looked like a crazy old person trying to make the puppies look at me. My camera ran out of power at the end and it was a good thing, they were hungry, it was getting dark, my husband was waiting to come inside, and I almost filled a scandisk of puppy pictures.

Most were pretty easy to get pictures. The "Blue" Lone Ranger didn't like the flash (it was shady) OR the little red light each time the camera focused. You know the kid, a child... in a group shot that always looks startled. Blue was my challenge! So he doesn't really look like a startled kid in real life, just in my photos.

Next, my other problem and honestly I can say he's been this way since he did the "army crawl" was "Flyer." That puppy never stopped, except near my husband, Steve's legs. I don't do well taking pictures of a dog doing figure-eights around blue, levi legs.

Here our the puppies and they're all sold and so our my daughter's dog, Laney's puppies:

This is Blue






Not Liking This


Startled? Heck, Yes!


Now, This is Flyer




Running? Duhr! He Really Flies, Beware



Caught Running And..it's Not Blurry. Amazing

Jake Is Right Here:

Sorry, I cut some ears off. Jumping is hard to follow


Poser!





Next is, The Princess:





She Was Very Shy

Buckeye!









The Firefighter's Blaze:







I think I'm missing a great football game. Go Seahawks! Am I bad or what? I like sports and my husband could care less. Go figure. I ask him about a game-any game and he doesn't have a clue. We did go to the football games when Kiely was the mascot and I don't even think we noticed if Santa Paula (our side) even won one game. I really should've named one of the puppies this great football season, "Hike," just for fun.

***I do have a lead on some very, very cute group of puppies up in Laramie, Wyoming. The puppies are out of Darby's sister, Dixie. My "other" daughter and family own Dixie and she had puppies too this year. They will be ready Feb. 1st and my daughter will be taking pictures for me to post here. So friends up north, she's got a couple reds and a couple blues that look just like mine. Cuties everyone!

Email my daughter if you're near her and want a puppy out of two great working Queensland Heelers. knappycrew@gmail.com  She'll send you pictures off her phone.

1 comment:

  1. Are you planning another litter anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete